It's OK, I'd be grumpy too if I didn't own a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Tortoise Spotting


The way I find tortoises is by listening for them. Yup you read right, I said listening.

You see when the little fellow walks he makes a fair amount of noise. So listen for some crackling leaves. And for here, in tallish grass WATCH WHERE YOU STEP, you never know, there might be a snake. I don't think that tortoises are very hard to spot, just follow the sound and keep your eyes peeled.

I believe that the kind of tortoise that we/I have been seeing here are Greek tortoises (Spur-thighed tortoises). But I'm not sure. Most of the ones that I've seen are dinner plate sized. But I found one that fit in my hand too.

Interesting link to Wikipedia about spur-thighed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spur-thighed_tortoise

No comments:

Post a Comment